Feel the strength in this message about sunflowers and how both students and flowers really stand out when challenges come their way with this fun summer bulletin board.
From the creator:
“I used tissue paper for yellow petals.
Then brown, tan, and green construction paper for the leaves and stem.
There are copy paper letters printed from Microsoft word in 450pt letters and they were then hand cut.
It was finished up with a sunflower bulletin board border.”
How can you use this board with your students?
- Have students research how sunflowers grow and react to different environments.
- Talk about what characteristics of sunflowers would be strong for character building – and what would some example social scenario look like.
- Finally, have the class plant sunflower seeds someplace safe on the school grounds – and then take turns caring for the seeds until the flowers reach maturity.
Summer Flowers Bring Out Character!
Steps to Set Up:
- Use red bulletin board fadeless paper to line your entire board to begin with.
- Then, staple your border around the edges.
- Create your sunflower on the left side of the board, which runs from the top of the board to the bottom.
- Finally, add your title to the remaining space on the bulletin board.
Using science integrated with character building allows students to connect their real life experiences with the larger real world concepts. Plus, hands-on activities are a great way to learn to care for something other than oneself.
How else could you use this bulletin board idea in your school? Feel free to leave a comment at our Facebook page.
Submitted by: Emily