This parochial themed bulletin board is perfect for reminding students that they are responsible for their own actions and thoughts.
“This bulletin board was created using construction paper, purchased bulletin board border, inexpensive mirrors attached with velcro and reflective paper.”
How can you use this board with your students?
- Ask students to read the board and look in the mirror as you are walking down the hallway.
- Have students write a journal entry where they draw themselves in a mirror and write positive messages that they are thinking, doing, and being.
- Assign homework for students to discuss with their caregivers how they embody this bulletin board and have caregivers share they do the same.
Reflecting a Positive Image
- White bulletin board paper: As a background for the bulletin board.
- Decorative bulletin board border: Any decorative border you like will work for this particular board.
- Green large letters: Use alphabet cutouts to create your title.
- Blue construction paper: For creating the background on your focus word.
- White alphabet letters: For highlighting your focus word on your bulletin board.
- Mirrors: You can use handheld or inexpensive rectangle mirrors. Or if you are worried about glass breaking with students around, mirror board will do the trick as well.
Steps to Set Up:
- Begin by placing the white background on your empty board.
- Add your border around the edges.
- Add the white letters to a piece of blue construction paper as your focus word.
- Place your green title and focus word wherever you like on your bulletin board.
- Last, add your mirrors or mirror board to the remaining white space on the board.
Even if you don’t work in a parochial school, you could change up the focus word to kindness, empathy, or character and still be able to use the same concept.
The importance of the board is that students are thinking about their thoughts and actions. Reflection on one’s own behavior is always a good practice.
How else could you use this bulletin board idea in your school? Feel free to leave a comment below.
Submitted by: Frances